After eating watermelon overnight, one-year-old was admitted to hospital with fever and convulsions

The temperature continues to rise during the dog days, and the cool watermelon is the favorite of children and adults. However, a few days ago, 1-year-old Tiantian (pseudonym) suffered from diarrhea, vomiting, high fever, and diarrhea after eating spoiled watermelon. Accompanied by convulsions, he was urgently sent to the Neurology Department of Hunan Children’s Hospital for treatment. It is reported that this is the third case of convulsions caused by high fever caused by eating spoiled watermelon recently admitted to the Neurology Department of the hospital.

“It’s okay for adults to eat it, but I didn’t expect that something went wrong two hours after the child ate it.” Tiantian’s mother introduced that on August 1, Tiantian didn’t have a plastic wrap at home, nor did she eat it. After the overnight watermelon was stored in the refrigerator, he developed a high fever and severe diarrhea, with continuous convulsions in the middle, and was sent by his family to the Neurology Department of the Provincial Children’s Hospital for hospitalization.

The doctor’s examination found that Tiantian was in poor mental state, restless, and had low urine output, because of high fever and diarrhea, which had led to mild dehydration. After being admitted to the hospital, it was found that there were a large number of white blood cells in Tiantian’s stool, which was a symptom of intestinal infection. Combined with the medical history, the doctor diagnosed Tiantian as a gastrointestinal infection caused by eating spoiled watermelon, which caused febrile convulsions. After a series of symptomatic treatments such as anti-infection and rehydration, Tiantian’s physical condition is stable and is gradually recovering.

“The immune system of infants and young children is not perfect, and the deterioration of watermelon overnight can easily cause gastrointestinal infection in children, induce febrile convulsions and even intracranial infection and other serious consequences.” Kang Qingyun, deputy chief physician of the Department of Neurology of Hunan Children’s Hospital, introduced, The high temperature in summer makes it easier for many microorganisms and bacteria to multiply, and as everyone’s favorite fruit in summer – watermelon, it has also become the “hotbed” for bacteria to breed. Due to their imperfect immune function, infants and young children have relatively weak intestinal walls. Once exposed to spoiled and microbial food, they are more likely to be “stricken” than adults, resulting in gastrointestinal diseases and infectious diseases. It is reported that recently, the neurology department of the hospital has received 3 consecutive cases of children with intestinal infection caused by eating watermelon overnight.

Kang Qingyun suggested that the general population, especially children with weakened immune systems, should try to eat fresh food and not eat it overnight. When buying a watermelon, if the watermelon is too large, it is recommended not to buy the whole watermelon. You can buy it in pieces as needed and eat it as soon as possible. If it is not eaten on the day, it must be wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in the refrigerator in time.

Xiaoxiang Morning News reporter Xia Sheng correspondent Li Yawen

News clues reveal channel: Download the “Morning Video” client from the app market and enter the topic “Morning Help”; or call the morning video news hotline 0731-85571188.