A friend who suffers from high blood pressure told Hua Zi that when he went to the pharmacy to buy lipid-lowering drugs, the clerk always recommended him to buy fish oil, saying that it could also lower blood lipids with less side effects , but he has doubts, what is fish oil, can eating it really reduce blood lipids?
Hua Zi said that the fish oil mentioned by the clerk usually refers to the oil extracted from the fat of deep-sea cold-water fish such as tuna, salmon, and sardine, because it contains more OMEGA-3 (ω-3) unsaturated fatty acid has certain benefits to the human body, but when it comes to health care, high-purity fish oil must be used, and the content of ω-3 unsaturated fatty acid must reach 85% above.
First, what is deep-sea fish oil
Eskimos living in the Arctic Circle have a very low risk of cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. After investigation, it was found that it was related to the large amount of marine fish in their diet. Because the fat of deep-sea cold-water fish contains a large amount of omega-3 unsaturated fatty acids such as eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).
Unsaturated fatty acids can esterify cholesterol, thereby lowering cholesterol and triglycerides, and increasing HDL cholesterol. Therefore, the intake of fish oil has the effect of lowering blood lipids, which is beneficial to the human body. However, only high-purity fish oil has a health-care effect, while the lipid-lowering effect of fish oil with insufficient purity is weak.
Second, fish oil is not suitable for everyone
Research on fish oil at home and abroad found that although omega-3 drinking and fatty acids can regulate blood lipids, so far, there is no evidence to prove that supplementing fish oil in healthy people can prevent Cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, so for healthy people, fish oil supplementation has no practical significance.
However, in the study of patients with coronary heart disease and heart failure, fish oil supplementation can reduce the risk of disease recurrence, which is of secondary prevention significance. That is to say, the health effects of fish oil for healthy people are uncertain, but for people with cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases, fish oil supplementation can be beneficial.
Three, what to pay attention to when supplementing fish oil
1. Can not replace drugs: Although fish oil can reduce blood lipids, the intensity of action is very low, and it cannot replace lipid-lowering drugs such as statins and fibrates strong>. People with hyperlipidemia and atherosclerosis cannot stop lipid-lowering drugs even if they eat fish oil.
2. The higher the purity, the better: fish oil purity of more than 85% is high-purity fish oil, which is unsaturated in omega-3 Among the fatty acids, EPA’s main function is to lower blood lipids, while DHA’s main function is to nourish nerves. If the purpose is to reduce blood lipids, the higher the EPA content, the better.
3. There may be adverse reactions: Fish oil is not completely free of side effects, and some people will experience gastrointestinal irritation after taking it. Take with food to reduce irritation. There are also a small number of people who have elevated liver transaminases (AST, ALT), elevated creatine kinase (CK), and increased bleeding tendency, so close observation should be made after taking it. If there is any abnormality, stop the drug immediately and seek medical attention.
4. Do not overdose: Fish oil is a health food, and its technological requirements are not as strict as that of medicines, and it will contain some impurities. Harmful to the human body, so do not overdose.
5. Pay attention to storage conditions: omega-3 unsaturated fatty acids have poor stability and are prone to oxidative deterioration. to avoid failure.
To sum up, fish oil can help regulate blood lipids, but it cannot replace drugs, and it will benefit people who already suffer from cardiovascular and cerebrovascular diseases. When taking it, it should be noted that the higher the purity, the better the effect, and adverse reactions may also occur. It is best to take it under the guidance of a nutritionist or doctor. Healthy people do not need to supplement fish oil, and it is more beneficial to eat fish directly. I am Huazi, a pharmacist. Welcome to follow me and share more health knowledge.