Do not eat such fruit, it is highly carcinogenic

How do you generally deal with rotten fruit? Throw it all away, or cut off the broken parts and continue eating? Some people may think it’s fine as long as they don’t eat the rotten parts, but doing so can have serious consequences.

Recently, a husband and wife who opened a fruit shop were reluctant to put rotten fruit After throwing it away, I cut off the bad part and continued to eat it. As a result, both of them were diagnosed with liver cancer at the same time.

△ Weibo screenshot

Moldy fruits cause cancer? Once it’s rotten, you can’t eat it all? What else should you pay attention to when eating fruit? Look down.

Moldy fruit poisonous?

Some microbes covet sweet and enticing fruit For a long time, the most common are Penicillium and Aspergillus. They will enter when the fruit is damaged, multiply inside the fruit and cause the fruit to become moldy and rotten. The most harmful to human health is the toxins produced by these microorganisms, that is, the toxic metabolites produced during the growth of molds.


Patulin, produced by Penicillium extensa, is the most common toxin in moldy fruit. Mainly found in moldy fruits and their products, especially apples, pears, hawthorn, tomatoes, apple juice, etc.

Although there is only one word difference between patulin and the famous penicillin, the two The effect of the person is worlds apart. Penicillin is an antibiotic produced by Penicillium spp. that can inhibit bacterial growth, but patulin is a harmful toxin, which can not only cause gastrointestinal disorders, but also have carcinogenicity and teratogenicity.


< span class="data-color--tt-darkmode-b2b2b2">Ochratoxins contain seven structurally similar compounds, of which ochratoxin A is the most common and the most toxic. Ochratoxin A can be present in moldy grapes and grape products, lemon fruits, etc. Ochratoxin A is highly toxic to the kidneys and liver, and has also been found to be embryotoxic and teratogenic in animal studies.

3-Nitropropionic acid

3-Nitropropionic acid is a neurotoxin produced by the fungus Arthrobionella, mainly present in spoiled sugarcane. Poisoning can cause severe damage to the central nervous system, which can lead to death. At present, there is no specific treatment for the poisoning caused by this toxin.


Aflatoxin is the strongest carcinogenic toxin found so far, mainly found in spoiled peanuts, corn and dairy products, and also found in moldy raisins and other dried fruit foods. Aflatoxin mainly induces liver cancer and Subcutaneous sarcoma, 75 times more carcinogenic than toxic compounds (dimethylnitrosamines) to induce liver cancer.

Does eating moldy fruit often cause cancer?

Long-term consumption of foods high in aflatoxin may indeed cause cancer. Aflatoxin is a class 1 carcinogenic toxin with clear evidence of carcinogenicity, and intake of 1 mg can cause cancer.

Patulin and Ochratoxin A are listed as Class 3 and Class 2B carcinogens, respectively , studies have shown that these toxins can affect the body’s cellular metabolism and have the risk of causing cancer.

3-Nitropropionic acid is not listed as a carcinogen, but its severe neurotoxicity can also cause harm to the human body. Therefore, frequent consumption of moldy fruits will pose a threat to health. p>

Can the bad parts be cut and eaten?

Under the influence of the traditional virtues of diligence and thrift, many people Will cut off rotten or broken parts of the fruit and eat only what looks good. But whether this is feasible or not depends on the situation.

Bump damage: Fruit will be bumped or damaged during transportation or sale. Indentation, this damage generally only affects the appearance of the fruit, and eating it in the short term will not have much impact on health.

Freezing damage: In low temperature environment, some fruits will have soft pulp , but there was no microbial growth. If you ignore the taste of the fruit, eating it will not have much effect.

Mold and rot: Toxins produced by microorganisms will spread inside the fruit with the juice, we cannot use Visually determine the spread of toxins. Therefore, even if the rotten part of the fruit is cut off, the rest cannot be guaranteed to be free of toxins. It is recommended to throw away the moldy fruit directly.

What else should I pay attention to when eating fruit?

First of all, when buying fruit, try to choose a fruit with a good appearance. fresh fruits. Try to avoid buying diced fruit. On the one hand, it cannot guarantee that the incision is not contaminated by microorganisms, and on the other hand, it is impossible to confirm whether the merchant uses moldy fruit diced to shoddy.

Secondly, when eating fruit, be sure to wash it thoroughly to remove the surface of the fruit Microorganisms such as bacteria, molds, parasites and residual pesticides that may be contaminated. After rinsing with clean water, those that can be peeled or peeled can be peeled and eaten, and those that cannot be peeled can be soaked in fruit and vegetable cleaner or salt water, washed and eaten.

Finally, it is best to wrap fruit in dry paper or plastic bags for refrigerated storage Store, and at the same time poke some small holes in the bag for ventilation, to prevent moisture evaporation from breeding bacteria and mold on the bag. In addition, it should be noted that some tropical fruits (such as bananas, mangoes, etc.) are not suitable for low temperature storage, but can be stored at room temperature and eaten as soon as possible.

Source: Fingertip Shenyang, Popular Science China p>